Routes for Leh Ladakh Trip on Bike
Ladakh has always been the spirit of a true biker, rookie as well as experienced. A trip to Leh-Ladakh makes adventure seekers excited and energized. The magical mountain vibe experience of the mystical roads that will lead you to the destination. Ladakh has high motor roads. It is a unique experience in itself.
Bike Trip to Ladakh is Popular
- Camping : The wilderness is all the more exotic with camping sites en routes that will fill you with a special sense of amazement and excitement.
- Off the path: There is no itinerary while you’re on the road to Ladakh and the road itself is the destination.
- Soul-searching: Solo bike trips are best experienced on a road that is beautiful as the one in Ladakh. It is an opportunity to feel yourself and nature.
- Group trips: gang of bikers, or a group of friends. It is the most satisfying and enjoyable road trip you will take with your buddies.
Routes For A Bike Trip to Leh Ladakh
There are two routes to take for a Leh Ladakh bike trip. The Srinagar route is on the way to Leh and the Manali route on your way back. Does not belong to Delhi or Chandigarh and nearby cities, can get their bike shipped to Delhi and then undertake the trip.
Srinagar-Leh Route: Upon crossing Jalandhar, the route passes through Srinagar, Sonmarg, Zozi La, Drass, Kargil, Mulbekh, Lamayuru, Saspol and then reaches Leh. The best spots to camp on this road are Drass and Kargil.
Manali-Leh: Upon crossing Manali, this route passes through Rohtang, Keylong, Jispa, Baralacha La, Sarchu and Gya. The best spots to camp on this road are Keylong, Jispa, and Sarchu.
Best Time :
The routes are closed for 6 months during the year because of heavy snowfall and landslides. Manali to Leh highway opens in mid-May and takes time to clear off initially. It gets closed by the end of September and anytime between June to September. The Srinagar road opens anytime between mid-May to June and closes in November. July to November is a good time for this route.
Typically, a Leh Ladakh bike trip cost is trip starters from Rs, 14799.
- Fuel: Consider that your bike gives you mileage of around 30 to 35 KMS per liter, and the fact that the journey is rough across more than 3000 kilometers, fuel can cost anywhere between Rs.7000 to Rs. 10000.
- Food: in a day, you can spend around Rs. 300 to Rs. 500 on your meals.
- Stay: Accommodation ranges from Rs. 1000 a day to Rs. 2500 a day.
- Other expenses: Includes permits and other miscellaneous expenses, keep an expense of an extra Rs. 3000 to Rs. 5000.
- Note: the above does not include bike rentals.it can range from Rs. 2000 per day to Rs. 4000 a day .
- Plan Your Bike Trip To Leh-Ladakh
- Plan your route.
- Get your Rohtang pass as well as other inner line permits online.
- Get your bike properly serviced.
- Book the Leh accommodation online after comparing other places.
- Check road conditions online before taking off.
What To Carry On Your Bike Trip
- cross Tandi on the Manali route and there are no gas stations, so make sure to get your tank full. Keep your license & registration, PUC, permits as well as other photo id proofs ready. And do Carry a printed route map.
- power banks
- First Aid Kit
- Rechargeable torches
- GPS with a charger
- Camera kit and gear
- Swiss knife
- Helmet with protective visor
- Riding goggles
- Riding gloves
- Bandana/skull cap
- Riding jacket with thermal inner
- Lip balm & moisturizer
- Nylon rope & funnel
- Spare tyre & puncture repair kit
Tips While Riding To Ladakh
- Don’t do stunts on the road or over speed, specifically on tricky paths. Know how to fix a flat tire if you don’t already know how to. Do stay hydrated and take a lot of refreshment breaks. Do Wear a bright-colored (clothes) so you are visible from a distance to oncoming traffic. Do carry extra cash with you, for contingency’s sake.
Best bikes for a Ladakh Trip
Any decent motorcycle in good shape is able to make the journey good, but the Royal Enfield seems to be the weapon of choice for most serious riders heading to Ladakh. Don’t get disappointed if you don’t have one, as most of the smaller motorcycles have no trouble keeping up too.
Popular Bike Tours To Ladakh
Recently, there has been an upgrade in Ladakh biking tours, and a lot of private organizers and adventure travel companies have started to offer to curate bike excursions to the land.
If you want to participate in one of those, if you want a ready-made bike experience without worrying about the extensive planning. Popular trip organizers, facilitators, biker groups and organizers are Adventure Nation, Victorians, Himalayan Motorbike, The Dream Riders Group, Classic Bike Adventure India, India MotorBike Tours, 365 Hops, Himalayan Rider bike, Aspen Adventures, Adventure 365 and others
Bike Rentals For Ladakh
For those who do not want their bikes to get shipped, or don’t own a bike of their own, find below renters online.